2017년 6월 6일 화요일

Week 14: Follow Me: Meaningful Connection: Seol Min-Suk


 According to the article "Korea's "First Room Salon,"" lecturer Seol Min-suk who is one of South Korea's biggest celebrity historians had made a controversial comment about 33 leaders in history which caused outrage of the descendants and a history teacher and there are both favorable and the opposing sides in the public. Seol claimed that 33 historical heroes went to a room salon, a bar where young women are available for joy, in broad daylight and started drinking alcohol which he refers to the fact that even the country's most celebrated heroes had shown a shameful behavior. The descendants of the 33 leaders stormed into Seol's office to demand an apology for defaming their political heroes and a history teacher, Chun Woo-yong, pointed out that it is an exaggeration to call the site of the declaration of independence, Taehwagwan, a room salon. Some insist that the room salon statement is somewhat true, pointing out that historical interpretation should not be suppressed but the others criticize Seol for sensationalizing history and their heroes, even tackling him with his background as a theater major unprofessional. In summary, Seol min-suk has put himself on the chopping board after belittling political heroes which brought anger to the descendants and another history teacher and the public opinion is controversial.
 

 My interest towards Korean history has increased and learned a lesson through the activities Seol Min-Suk has given to the public such as lectures for history movies, history lectures at "Unexpected Adulthood" and the attitude about his interpretation of history. I had no interest in Korean history even though I enjoyed watching historical movies but one day watching a video of Seol giving an informational and also funny lecture about the movie "Roaring Currents," I found out that history could have been boring since it was always considered as a subject in school. Seol also gave a lecture at a TV program called "Unexpected Adulthood" and I was captivated by his proficiency in enlightening people with metaphor and connecting the history with our daily lives which made me look back on my life and set my own priorities. He had been in dispute recently because of his evaluation of the 33 heroes in a pejorative sense and I had expected him to just give an apology to the descendants as celebrities normally do but instead, he gave a full explanation of how the incident is being interpreted among historians and how we should not interpret history only on one side of view and this gave me the thought that when I am in the middle of an argument, I shouldn't try to avoid my situation but to assert what I think is right. My interest in Korean history had boosted and I earned confidence in expressing my opinions thanks to lecturer Seol min-suk and his lectures for historical movies, ones at "Unexpected Adulthood" and his response to the outrage of the descendants of the 33 heroes.




Park, Seohoi Stephanie. "Korea's "First Room Salon" | Ké Radar." KOREA EXPOSÉ. KOREA EXPOSÉ, 10 Apr. 2017. Web. 31 May 2017.
https://koreaexpose.com/korea-first-room-salon/

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기